The treatment for an elevated parathyroid hormone level depends on the cause. For patients with primary hyperparathyroidism there is a problem with the parathyroid gland itself and the only chance of curing it is an operation to remove it. On the other hand, patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism have a problem outside the parathyroid like kidney failure or low vitamin D levels that cause the parathyroid glands to be hyperactive. In these cases, fixing the problem can fix the parathyroid levels. See your doctor to figure out which kind of parathyroid problem you have.
- Q How does primary hyperparathyroidism affect quality of life?
- Q How does untreated primary hyperparathyroidism affect my health?
- Q When should I call 911 after having minimally invasive parathyroid surgery?
- Q What are the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism?
- Q Can hyperparathyroidism cause high blood pressure?
- Q What is persistent hyperparathyroidism?