What are the side effects of excessive cortisol?

Too much cortisol, known as Cushing’s syndrome, can have unwanted side effects in the form of obesity, diabetes, muscle weakness and breakdown, change in distribution of fat in the body (skinny arms and legs, big belly), thin skin, striae (purple lines on the abdomen similar to stretch marks), and brittle bones leading to osteoporosis and fractures. Depression, memory problems, and cataracts can also result from excess cortisol. Growth and puberty can be interrupted in children. Females can have difficulty getting pregnant. People with too much cortisol are also at increased risk for infection and may not heal wounds well.

For more information go to endocrinediseases.org: http://endocrinediseases.org/adrenal/cushings.shtml

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?