Should I take iodine for my goiter?

Iodine deficiency as a cause of goiter is rare in North America and most of Europe, largely due to the amount of iodized salt in our diets. However, even in areas of iodine deficiency most patients do not develop goiters. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for iodine in adult men and women is 150 μg per day, and one teaspoon of iodized salt contains approximately 400 μg iodine. Taking too much iodine can also worsen underlying thyroid disease and is not recommended.
For more information go the endocrinediseases.org: Benign non-toxic multinodular goiter 

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

Endocrine System

Your endocrine system works with your nervous system to control important bodily functions. The endocrine systems responsibilities include regulating growth, sexual development and function, metabolism and mood. The endocrine syst...

em also helps give your body the energy it needs to function properly. Endocrine glands secrete hormones into the bloodstream. Hormones are considered chemical messengers, coordinating your body by transferring information from one set of cells to another. Your endocrine system health can be affected by hormone imbalances resulting from impaired glands. A hormone imbalance can cause problems with bodily growth, sexual development, metabolism and other bodily functions. Endocrine system diseases or conditions include diabetes, growth disorders and osteoporosis.