What are the risks of hormone treatment?

These are the risks of hormone treatment:

• Blood clots
  • Heart attack
  • Stroke
  • Breast cancer
  • Gallbladder disease

There are risks of taking any drugs, and we base our decision to take a particular drug on whether its benefit is worth the harm it might cause. It has been known for decades that hormone treatment has some risks. Before we learned the results of the Women's Health Initiative (WHI), many health care providers and women believed that the benefits of taking hormone treatment were great enough to expose ourselves to the risks.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?