What are the negative effects of hormone treatment?

The following are the negative effects of hormone treatment:

• Bleeding
  • Bloating
  • Breast tenderness or enlargement
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Vaginitis and vaginal itching
  • Leg cramps
  • Menstrual cramps
  • Mood changes

The negative effects of hormone treatment vary considerably among women, and the severity and frequency differ as well. Some women have no negative effects; other women experience minor problems, while still others can't take the drugs because the unwanted effects are so strong.

The type of hormone treatment a woman is taking—estrogen only or a combination of estrogen plus progestogen—as well as the dose may determine the effects experienced. If you are having problems, it may be helpful to try a lower dose.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?