Is a carcinoid tumor serious?

If a carcinoid tumor is small and localized, it can normally be completely removed by surgery. However, because a carcinoid tumor grows slowly, it is often undetected until its size makes it a poor candidate for surgical removal. An advanced tumor causes some people to experience hormonal imbalances that result in a variety of problems including facial redness, abdominal pain, and shortness of breath. Even if the tumor has spread or metastasized, its slow growth means people often survive 10 to 15 years with the disease.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
What is the rate of incidence for endocrine system diseases?
The rate of incidence for endocrine system diseases varies depending on the disease. Some endocrine ...
How do I know if I have multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A blood test can determine if a person has multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2). A person with...
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?