How can I regulate leptin and ghrelin through the foods I eat?

Certainly it would be nice if we could flip some cerebral switch that would keep the leptin light on and permanently cut the power source to ghrelin. But what we do have is the ability to flip the switches (in either direction) through the foods we eat. Those foods -- and the chemical reactions that they cause when they enter our bloodstream -- can increase or decrease the effect of leptin and ghrelin.

Many of these processed foods we’re seeing today are really imposter foods; your brain simply doesn’t recognize them as real foods. The effect: As ghrelin goes up or leptin goes down, you reach for a fourth pepperoni stick. But if you eat real foods -- foods like nuts, vegetables, whole grains, and lean animal protein -- your brain gives your body a direct order: Let’s close ship, sir, this one’s had enough.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
What are the side effects of testosterone replacement therapy?
Side effects of testosterone replacement therapy can include the following: acne oily skin smal...
How is peritoneal mesothelioma treated?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
One way to treat peritoneal mesothelioma is called "intracavitary chemotherapy," which enables clini...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?