How can I regulate leptin and ghrelin through the foods I eat?

Certainly it would be nice if we could flip some cerebral switch that would keep the leptin light on and permanently cut the power source to ghrelin. But what we do have is the ability to flip the switches (in either direction) through the foods we eat. Those foods -- and the chemical reactions that they cause when they enter our bloodstream -- can increase or decrease the effect of leptin and ghrelin.

Many of these processed foods we’re seeing today are really imposter foods; your brain simply doesn’t recognize them as real foods. The effect: As ghrelin goes up or leptin goes down, you reach for a fourth pepperoni stick. But if you eat real foods -- foods like nuts, vegetables, whole grains, and lean animal protein -- your brain gives your body a direct order: Let’s close ship, sir, this one’s had enough.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

Endocrine System

Your endocrine system works with your nervous system to control important bodily functions. The endocrine systems responsibilities include regulating growth, sexual development and function, metabolism and mood. The endocrine syst...

em also helps give your body the energy it needs to function properly. Endocrine glands secrete hormones into the bloodstream. Hormones are considered chemical messengers, coordinating your body by transferring information from one set of cells to another. Your endocrine system health can be affected by hormone imbalances resulting from impaired glands. A hormone imbalance can cause problems with bodily growth, sexual development, metabolism and other bodily functions. Endocrine system diseases or conditions include diabetes, growth disorders and osteoporosis.