How does primary hyperparathyroidism affect quality of life?

The signs and symptoms of primary hyperparathyroidism can significantly affect and worsen a patient's quality of life. A number of studies have used different tools to determine just how much primary hyperparathyroidism affects a person's quality of life. These studies show that primary hyperparathyroidism patients had a worse overall quality of life than healthy control subjects in all areas that were measured. Research has shown that surgery can improve many of these symptoms and improve the quality of life for a majority of patients. In most studies, up to 80% to 95% of patients reported improvement in vague symptoms following cure. In particular, substantial improvement was noted in emotional problems and body pain. 

hyperparathyroidism

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?