How do I manage my nontoxic goiter symptoms on a daily basis?

If you are not currently taking medication to reduce the size of your goiter, monitor your symptoms. If swallowing or breathing becomes difficult, tell your doctor immediately. If you are taking medication to regulate your thyroid hormones and reduce the size of your goiter, be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions. If you live in an iodine-deficient area, taking iodine as recommended by a physician may reduce the size of your goiter.  However, in the U.S. and most of Europe there is plenty of iodine in people’s diets, and taking extra iodine is more likely to cause thyroid problems than to help reduce the size of a goiter.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

Endocrine System

Your endocrine system works with your nervous system to control important bodily functions. The endocrine systems responsibilities include regulating growth, sexual development and function, metabolism and mood. The endocrine syst...

em also helps give your body the energy it needs to function properly. Endocrine glands secrete hormones into the bloodstream. Hormones are considered chemical messengers, coordinating your body by transferring information from one set of cells to another. Your endocrine system health can be affected by hormone imbalances resulting from impaired glands. A hormone imbalance can cause problems with bodily growth, sexual development, metabolism and other bodily functions. Endocrine system diseases or conditions include diabetes, growth disorders and osteoporosis.