How do I manage my nontoxic goiter symptoms on a daily basis?

If you are not currently taking medication to reduce the size of your goiter, monitor your symptoms. If swallowing or breathing becomes difficult, tell your doctor immediately. If you are taking medication to regulate your thyroid hormones and reduce the size of your goiter, be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions. If you live in an iodine-deficient area, taking iodine as recommended by a physician may reduce the size of your goiter.  However, in the U.S. and most of Europe there is plenty of iodine in people’s diets, and taking extra iodine is more likely to cause thyroid problems than to help reduce the size of a goiter.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Hormone Replacement Therapy May Be Good
Fear-mongering about hormone replacement therapy isn’t good science. For the right woman with nasty menopausal symptoms and the right man with low tes...
Are endocrine system diseases serious?
Endocrine system diseases can interfere with your body's most important metabolic processes and have...
How does a person get multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
People get multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2) from their parents. MEN2 runs in families. It'...
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?