How does growth hormone change with age?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
The focus of many anti-aging gurus is human growth hormone, which is produced by the pituitary gland in the brain. Among other functions, it is responsible for stimulating growth in children. As we age, the amount of this hormone declines. It becomes more difficult for adults to put on muscle mass and easier to accumulate fat, even with the same degree of exercise and the same caloric intake. As the skin thins, sexual and heart function decline and bone density decreases. Energy wanes and depression becomes more common. A third of people older than age 60 have very low levels of growth hormone.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?