How can endocrine-disrupting chemicals (obesogens) affect my metabolism?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
There's evidence to show that ingredients in some foods can disrupt your metabolism and your hormonal system, which impacts how well your body processes and burns energy. A class of natural and synthetic chemicals known as endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs), also gaining the name "obesogens," can act in a variety of ways to make and keep you fat: by mimicking human hormones such as estrogen, by misprogramming stem cells to become fat cells, and, researchers think, by altering the function of genes. They enter our bodies through a variety of ways: from natural hormones found in soy products, from hormones administered to animals, from plastics in some food and beverage packaging, from ingredients added to processed foods, and from pesticides sprayed on produce. The lesson: when you eat minimally processed natural foods, you help stoke your body's metabolism so you can burn more fat.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?