How does growth hormone promote growth in the body?

Growth hormone, naturally produced by the pituitary gland (the pea-sized organ at the base of the brain), acts on the liver and other tissues to stimulate production of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1). That IGF-1 is what's responsible for the growth-promoting effects of growth hormone, especially important in the proper development of children.

Growth hormone production is highest during childhood and the hormone-drenched adolescent years, then typically starts tapering off around age 30, continuing to decline into old age.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?