How does the hormone glucagon affect blood sugar levels in diabetes?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Glucagon is the second most important hormone related to blood sugar control. Unlike insulin, which lowers blood sugar, glucagon raises it, and it can be used for the treatment of low blood sugar in an emergency. Under normal circumstances, glucagon is one of the hormones that helps balance insulin, preventing the blood sugar level from going too low. While glucagon plays an important role in balancing insulin under normal circumstances, there is evidence that too much glucagon production contributes to high blood sugar levels in many people with diabetes.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?
What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?