Can toxic goiter be prevented?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Often, goiters are the result of things you cannot control, such as the level of your thyroid function and whether or not you have an auto-immune disorder. However, sometimes altering your diet can help. Goiters can grow due to a lack of iodine in the body, so be sure your iodine intake as at the right level. Iodine deficiency is rare in the U.S. and in places where salt is iodized.

A goiter is “toxic” if the thyroid nodule over-produces thyroid hormone. If you have a nontoxic goiter, monitor your symptoms in case the goiter becomes toxic, and follow your doctor's treatment recommendations. 

Continue Learning about Endocrine System

What Nutrients Are Important for a Healthy Thyroid?
When Should I Worry If I Have Night Sweats?