Why should I have surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism?

The main benefit of curing primary hyperparathyroidism with a surgery (parathyroidectomy) is the potential to fix any or all of the signs and symptoms of the disease. The most important improvements after parathyroid surgery include:
  • Improved bone density and lower risk of broken bones
  • Improved quality of life
  • Lower risk of kidney stones
  • Decreased risk of prematurely dying.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Treatments

What are the complications of surgery for an insulinoma?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Complications may occur in up to 40-50% of patients, but many are minor, often minimally affecting l...
What tests will I have before gastrinoma surgery?
Before embarking on gastrinoma surgery, a thorough assessment of the extent of disease should be mad...
What are the treatment options for endocrine system diseases?
Treatment options for endocrine system diseases vary widely since there are so many of them. If an e...
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?