When is radioactive iodine treatment given?

Radioactive iodine treatment (RAI treatment) is given to destroy thyroid tissue (especially for Graves' disease or thyroid cancer). The higher the dose, the greater the chance of developing hypothyroidism. However, even smaller doses can lead to hypothyroidism, just over a longer time period. Of note, diagnostic radioactive thyroid scans do not lead to hypothyroidism.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Treatments

What are the treatment options for endocrine system diseases?
Treatment options for endocrine system diseases vary widely since there are so many of them. If an e...
Why should I have surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The main benefit of curing primary hyperparathyroidism with a surgery (parathyroidectomy) is the pot...
Is there a cure for endocrine system diseases?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
There are many diseases of the endocrine system, so this is not a simple yes-or-no question. For som...
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?