What are treatment options for primary hyperaldosteronism?

The best treatment for primary hyperaldosteronism depends on the cause of the disease. Patients with unilateral disease should have an adrenalectomy. The operation usually is performed using minimally invasive techniques (laparoscopic surgery), but may require a traditional operation in cases of large, difficult to remove tumors. Patients with primary hyperaldosteronism caused by bilateral adrenal hyperplasia are treated with medications (aldosterone-antagonists) that control high blood pressure and normalize levels of sodium, potassium, and water in the blood. A low-salt diet also is recommended.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Treatments

Is there a cure for endocrine system diseases?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
There are many diseases of the endocrine system, so this is not a simple yes-or-no question. For som...
How is a glucagonoma treated?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The primary treatment for a glucagonoma is surgical removal, and this offers the only chance for cur...
How do medications treat endocrine system diseases?
Medications can treat endocrine system diseases by replacing your body's natural hormones with synth...
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?