Are there any disadvantages to RAI ablation?

A disadvantage of RAI ablation is the potential to worsen thyroid eye disease (ophthalmopathy) associated with severe cases of Graves' disease. Patients who are pregnant, have large thyroids, suspicious thyroid nodules, risk factors for thyroid cancer, or who have symptoms from a large goiter should not have RAI ablation. There is debate as to whether young children should have RAI ablation because they may then be at increased risk for other cancers and heart damage later on in life. In general, most practitioners do not recommend RAI ablation for patients younger than 15 years old. 

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Treatments

Should I see a specialist for a gastrinoma?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Once the diagnosis of a gastrinoma has been made, a referral to a surgeon expert in the management o...
Why should I have surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism?
The main benefit of curing primary hyperparathyroidism with a surgery (parathyroidectomy) is the pot...
What are treatment options for primary hyperaldosteronism?
The best treatment for primary hyperaldosteronism depends on the cause of the disease. Patients with...
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?
How Can I Treat Hot Flashes?