What is an inferior petrosal venous sinus sampling test?

An inferior petrosal venous sinus sampling test involves threading a long, tiny plastic tube or catheter up through the veins of the body to measure the blood levels of ACTH directly from the veins that come from the pituitary. This is done through a small needle-stick in the groin area and is generally not painful.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Diagnosis

How are endocrine system diseases diagnosed?
Doctors are typically able to diagnose endocrine system diseases by measuring your blood levels of e...
How is gastrinoma diagnosed?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The gastrinoma diagnosis should be suspected on the basis of the clinical presentation and establish...
How can I prepare for an appointment to diagnose endocrine system diseases?
You can prepare for your endocrine system disease diagnosis by making a list of all of your symptoms...
Should I stop my medication before a primary hyperaldosteronism test?
It is important to note that certain high blood pressure medications may interfere with the diagnost...