How can I prepare for an appointment to diagnose endocrine system diseases?

Prof. Deborah Hunt
Critical Care Nursing

To prepare for your appointment to diagnose an endocrine system disease you should do several things. You want to list your past history, family history, current history, and a list of questions that you want to ask the practitioner.

Past History should include the following:

• All previous and current illnesses and how you manage them
  • Past operations or procedures
  • Medications taken on a daily basis (include over the counter and supplements)
  • Significant diagnostic and lab tests done in the past
  • Any treatments or practices you are engaging
  • Cultural Beliefs and Practices
  • Social (alcohol, smoking, drug use)

Family History

• Past medical history of parents, grandparents, and siblings

Current Illness

• Manifestations and Symptoms
  • Onset of symptoms
  • Duration of symptoms
  • Why you believe you have this disorder
  • Previous doctor visits for this disorder
  • Past or current treatment of this disorder (medications, therapy, etc)
  • Results of any diagnostic tests (ideally bring reports with you to the visit)

Questions you may want to ask:

• What does it mean if I do have this disorder?
  • What type of diagnostic tests will I have to undergo?
  • How do I prepare for them?
  • What type of medications might I need?
  • What type of activity may I do or not do?
  • What type of diet should I follow?
  • What type of physical activity may I do?
  • What are the potential complications?
  • Is there a cure for this?
  • What are the risks/benefits of treatment versus no treatment?

You may think of additional things to add but this should help. It always helps to bring a list and some blank paper and a pen so you can write down what the healthcare practitioner has told you about your disorder. It is also a good idea to bring a relative or friend for support.

You can prepare for your endocrine system disease diagnosis by making a list of all of your symptoms, even those you think may be unrelated to your endocrine system disease. Tell your doctor about your history of illnesses. Your doctor will also need a list of any medications you are currently taking or have taken in the past, including vitamins and supplements. If you have a family history of endocrine system diseases, tell your doctor.

Continue Learning about Endocrine System Disease Diagnosis