Why do I need a glucagon shot if I have severe hypoglycemia?

People who take insulin are at risk for episodes of severe hypoglycemia. During such an episode, brain cells don't get the fuel (glucose) they need. Unless their blood glucose is quickly raised, it can cause brain damage -- even death. Glucagon is one way to quickly raise blood glucose. It's a natural hormone that helps the liver release glucose into the bloodstream. It's the fastest and safest way to raise blood glucose when the person is unconscious.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
How is glucagon related to type 1 diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. This hormone elevates blood glucose levels-so it can...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...