Why was H.P. Acthar Gel prescribed for my child?

There are many types of conditions that H.P. Acthar Gel can treat, so talk to your child's doctor about why the drug was prescribed for your child. H.P. Acthar Gel may be given for infantile spasms, multiple sclerosis, some forms of arthritis including juvenile arthritis, lupus, some breathing disorders, some eye problems and other medical conditions.

H.P. Acthar Gel, also called ACTH, corticotropin or repository corticotropin, is a drug given by injection into a muscle. Although doctors aren't sure exactly how it works, it appears to affect the brain and the adrenal gland to help the body produce cortisol and other hormones, reducing swelling in the body. Talk to your child's doctor for more information about H.P. Acthar Gel and whether it might help your child.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...