Who should take agalsidase beta?

People who have Fabry Disease take agalsidase beta. If you have this inherited condition, you are not able to make an enzyme called alpha-galactosidase which helps break down certain fatty substances your body produces. Without the enzyme, these fats build up in the body, causing various symptoms including pain, cloudiness in the eyes and hearing loss. Agalsidase beta (or its brand name version Fabryzyme) makes it possible for you to break down these types of fats. But the main studies of the drug have involved adult patients; it is not known if it is effective or safe for children. You should talk with your doctor about whether the benefits the medicine offers are worth any possible risks.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
How is glucagon related to type 1 diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. This hormone elevates blood glucose levels-so it can...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...