What is Trelstar?

Trelstar is the brand name drug containing the active ingredient triptorelin for injection every 24 weeks for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer. It is classified as a gonadotropin-releasing hormone drug, which works by decreasing the amount of testosterone that the body produces. Lowering the amount of testosterone in the body will slow the progression of the prostate cancer, but it will not cure it. Since the use of Trelstar is treatment of advanced prostate cancer, this drug is not prescribed for women in the US. Trelstar has been used in Europe to treat women for in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and for endometriosis.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...