What is the Ella pill?

Anna Tarleton Potter
Administration
The Ella pill is a prescription-only form of emergency contraception that is approved by the FDA. It works within five days of unprotected sex and blocks the hormone necessary for a pregnancy to occur. It is not the same as an abortion pill, which causes miscarriage. If you already are pregnant, or if a fertilized egg has formed, it will not work.
ella (ulipristal) is an emergency birth control pill. Its active ingredient is progestin, a synthetic hormone that prevents pregnancy by suppressing or delaying the release of an egg from the ovary. ella may also alter the lining of the uterus (womb), which lowers the odds of a pregnancy developing. This drug is intended for use only after unprotected sex or when another birth control method has failed. It should not be used routinely for birth control.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
Does ospemifene have any side effects?
Side effects may include hot flashes, vaginal discharge, muscle spasms, and excessive sweating.  Os...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...