What is sapropterin?

Sapropterin is a prescription drug used to treat phenylketonuria (PKU), a condition characterized by an excess of phenylalanine. Too much phenylalanine in the body causes brain damage, decreased intelligence, and problems with focus, memory, and organizational ability. Sapropterin is a synthetic salt that resembles a salt produced by the human body to assist the enzyme responsible for limiting the amount of phenylalanine in the blood. Sapropterin helps people with PKU by regulating their levels of phenylalanine. It can only treat some forms of phenylketonuria: namely, those caused by problems with this specific enzyme. Sapropterin is sold under the brand name Kuvan.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...