What is pegvisomant?

Pegvisomant is a man-made protein that is an analog (is similar to) of the human growth hormone. Once injected, it binds to the same receptor as the growth hormone does and blocks the effect. It is used to treat acromegaly, which is a growth disorder caused by too much growth hormone. 

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...