What is miglustat?

Miglustat is an enzyme inhibitors that is used in the treatment of type 1 Gaucher disease. Individuals with hereditary Gaucher disease have a condition in which a certain fatty substance is not broken down normally in the body and instead builds up in some organs and causes liver, spleen, bone, and blood problems. Miglustat works by preventing the body from producing the fatty substance so that less of it will build up in the body and cause symptoms. Miglustat is a capsule that is taken orally and is available only with a doctor's prescription. Miglustat is manufactured under the brand name Zavesca.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What is growth hormone treatment?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Growth hormone treatment is a therapy that may help kids with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) grow t...
How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...