What is diazoxide?

Diazoxide (Proglycem) is prescribed to manage hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) caused by pancreatic disorders or certain types of cancer. Diazoxide slows the release of insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas that signals cells in your body to take in glucose from the bloodstream. Less insulin means more glucose in the blood. Diazoxide is available as a 50 mg capsule and as a liquid suspension.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
Does ospemifene interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bazedoxifene, fluconazole, raloxifene, toremifene, or an estrogen drug, ospemifene...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...