What is buphenyl?

Buphenyl is the brand name of sodium phenylbutyrate, a medication that works to help rid the body of  nitrogen waste products in people who have urea cycle disorders and certain enzyme deficiencies. If these waste products are not excreted, they can produce high levels of ammonia in the blood, which can be toxic to the body. Buphenyl is taken with food at every meal. Buphenyl is available by prescription only and comes in tablet form and a powder to make an oral solution.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
What is growth hormone treatment?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Growth hormone treatment is a therapy that may help kids with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) grow t...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...