What is alglucosidase alfa?

Alglucosidase alfa is a prescription medication that's available as the brand names Lumizyme and Myozyme. This medication is used to treat Pompe disease, or alpha-glucosidase deficiency. Alglucosidase alfa is a glycoprotein, so it works to replace the enzyme (alpha-glucosidase) that's missing in people with Pompe disease. Alglucosidase alfa is given as an injection given by a healthcare provider in a hospital or clinic. These intravenous infusions of alglucosidase alfa are usually given every two weeks. Because you need to receive alglucosidase alfa regularly for it to be effective, make sure you don't miss any scheduled appointments for injections. Talk to your doctor to determine whether alglucosidase alfa is right for you.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Does ospemifene interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bazedoxifene, fluconazole, raloxifene, toremifene, or an estrogen drug, ospemifene...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
Does ospemifene have any side effects?
Side effects may include hot flashes, vaginal discharge, muscle spasms, and excessive sweating.  Os...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...