What should I know about Somatuline Depot before receiving it?

Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) works by lowering the amount of growth hormone in your body. If you take this drug, you will need to have an injection of it every month. Most people visit their doctors to get the injection, but in some cases a partner can be trained to inject you. Pregnant women should probably not receive Somatuline Depot, as there are not enough data to fully understand if this drug harms pregnant women or the fetus. In addition, there are not enough data to know if it is safe to breastfeed while taking this drug. Somatuline Depot may cause gallstones. If you have thyroid problems, this drug may make them worse. People with diabetes need to be cautious about using Somatuline Depot, because it can cause changes in your blood sugar. If you have liver or kidney disease, use Somatuline Depot with caution and discuss the right dosage with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
What is growth hormone treatment?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Growth hormone treatment is a therapy that may help kids with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) grow t...