How does potassium iodide (KI) treat iodine deficiency?

The body's main requirement for iodine is in the thyroid gland, where it is used to make hormones. Potassium iodide (KI) is a salt form of iodine, which can be used to treat iodine deficiency. Iodine deficiency sometimes causes an enlarged thyroid gland, or goiter.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...