How does Somatuline Depot treat acromegaly?

Because acromegaly is caused by too much growth hormone, lowering the amount of growth hormone in your body treats the symptoms. Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) is a type of drug called a somatostatin analog. It is an artificial, longer-lasting version of somatostatin, which is a natural hormone that blocks the release of growth hormone. Therefore, taking Somatuline Depot, a somatostatin analog, lowers the level of growth hormone in your system and treats the symptoms of acromegaly.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...