How can I minimize the side effects of Egrifta?

There are things you can do to minimize the side effects of Egrifta (tesamorelin), a drug used to treat people infected with HIV who have developed a condition called lipodystrophy. (That condition causes fat to accumulate in their abdomens.) Some people have discomfort or a rash or bruising at the injection site. You can minimize this by keeping track of where you inject the drug (always in the abdomen) and using a different spot each day.

Other possible side effects include joint pain, muscle soreness, nausea, vomiting, itching or tingling, elevated blood sugar, swelling due to fluid retention, and night sweats. If you have any of these symptoms, ask your doctor what you can do to ease them.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
How is glucagon related to type 1 diabetes?
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. This hormone elevates blood glucose levels-so it can...
Does ospemifene interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bazedoxifene, fluconazole, raloxifene, toremifene, or an estrogen drug, ospemifene...
What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...