How can H.P. Acthar Gel work to prevent spasms in my child?

Doctors don't know exactly how H.P. Acthar Gel may help to prevent spasms in a child who is experiencing infantile spasms. H.P. Acthar Gel, which is also called ACTH, corticotropin or repository corticotropin, is thought to affect the brain and the adrenal gland to help a child's body produce cortisol and other hormones. Use of ACTH dates back to the 1950s, but research is ongoing.

Studies show that spasms improve in just two weeks in 87% of children treated with H.P. Acthar Gel. The drug is usually given by an injection into a muscle twice a day for two weeks, and then may be gradually tapered off over the next two weeks. Talk to your child's doctor about whether H.P. Acthar Gel is right for your child and, if so, what is the best treatment regimen.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...