How does the NuvaRing work?

The NuvaRing is a flexible, transparent, and odorless combined-contraceptive vaginal ring that prevents pregnancy. It is about the size of a silver dollar and contains a combination of progestin and estrogen. It is inserted into the vagina for three weeks and removed for one week so that a woman can have her period. It may have the same side effects as conventional birth-control pills, including the risk of cardiovascular side effects for women who smoke and are over age 35. It does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases, and it is not recommended for breastfeeding mothers.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
Does ospemifene interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bazedoxifene, fluconazole, raloxifene, toremifene, or an estrogen drug, ospemifene...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...