What are conjugated estrogens and medroxyprogesterone acetate?

If you are a woman struggling with hot flashes and other symptoms that can accompany menopause, your doctor may prescribe conjugated estrogens and so-called medroxyprogesterone acetate. These medications are sold under the brand names Prempro and Premphase.

During menopause, a woman's natural levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone drop dramatically. This hormonal shift can cause some pretty unpleasant symptoms, such as hot flashes--those sudden assaults of warmth and perspiration that are uncomfortable and embarrassing.

Conjugated estrogens and medroxyprogesterone acetate mimic the actions of a woman's natural hormones in the body. In doing so, this combination of drugs can help prevent hot flashes and other menopause symptoms.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
What is ospemifene?
Ospemifene (Osphena) is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues such as the vagina, th...
Why is glucagon important for people with diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It is important to know about this hormone if you ha...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...