Can I take H.P. Acthar Gel if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking H.P. Acthar Gel, a drug given by injection into a muscle to treat multiple sclerosis, some forms of arthritis, lupus, some eye diseases and several other conditions.

There are no well-controlled studies that show that H.P. Acthar Gel is safe to use during pregnancy, and there is some evidence it may harm a developing fetus. It is unclear whether H.P. Acthar Gel can pass into breast milk and potentially harm a nursing baby. You and your doctor will need to weigh the potential benefits of taking H.P. Acthar Gel against the potential dangers to your child in order to decide whether it makes sense for you to take this drug.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

What should I know before I take ospemifene?
If you have had a blood clot in the lung or leg, a heart attack, or a stroke, you should not take os...
What is growth hormone treatment?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Growth hormone treatment is a therapy that may help kids with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) grow t...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...