How does potassium iodide help with exposure to radioactive iodine?

Potassium iodide should protect your thyroid from damage by exposure to radioactive iodine for about 24 hours. It works best if you start it immediately after exposure. The efficacy drops to about 50% if you wait 3 or 4 hours after exposure. You should take it for seven to 14 days after the exposure stops. Take it as directed by your doctor or pharmacist and do not stop taking it without talking to your doctor.

Talk to your doctor about your exposure to radiation and the best treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How is glucagon related to type 1 diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. This hormone elevates blood glucose levels-so it can...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
When do I need a glucagon shot if I have diabetes?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A person with diabetes who uses insulin needs an injection (shot) of glucagon if their blood glucose...
How effective is ospemifene?
Ospemifene relieves vaginal dryness and helps restore a healthy vaginal pH. Studies have shown it to...