Can my child take Ammonul?

The FDA has approved Ammonul for use in newborns and children. Some people have inherited disorders called urea cycle disorders. The urea cycle involves a series of steps where nitrogen, a waste product of protein breakdown, is removed from the blood and changes to urea. Normally, urea is transfered to the urine and removed from the body. In urea cycle disorders, nitrogen builds up in the blood as ammonia and causes elevated ammonia levels. These disorders are often discovered in newborn babies or children when the first signs of ammonia build-up appear.

Continue Learning about Endocrine-Metabolic Agent

How is glucagon related to type 1 diabetes?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Glucagon is a hormone produced by the pancreas. This hormone elevates blood glucose levels-so it can...
What drugs will I take if I'm receiving donor eggs?
If you're receiving donor eggs, a combination of two or three hormonal medications is used to manipu...
Who should avoid taking oral bisphosphonates?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
While bisphosphonates are quite effective in preventing fractures, the oral forms may not be the...
Does ospemifene have any side effects?
Side effects may include hot flashes, vaginal discharge, muscle spasms, and excessive sweating.  Os...