What is the Montana aid in dying ruling?

Barbara Coombs Lee
Hospice Nursing
On New Year’s Eve 2009, Montana’s Supreme Court handed down the ruling in Baxter v. Montana and authorized the practice of aid in dying for mentally competent, terminally ill adults. The court declared that such a patient may request medication that could be ingested to ensure a peaceful death. It ruled that a physician providing such medication does not violate public policy and is safe from prosecution.

It was a remarkable ruling in many ways. With subsequent legislative events, the court’s findings created a watershed between previous assisted-dying advocacy typified by Oregon’s Death with Dignity Act and the new era, in which patient choice becomes integral to the scope of medical practice at the end of life. 

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

What is life review, and how can it provide comfort near end of life?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
Life review is a self-reflective process in which people approaching death survey and review their l...
What should I do with my advance care plan once I've completed it?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
You should keep originals of your advance care plan documents in an easily accessible place (not in ...
What criteria must a patient fit to choose aid in dying?
David R. Grube, MDDavid R. Grube, MD
To choose aid in dying, a patient must fit certain criteria including a terminal diagnosis, and resi...
Is probate necessary?
CareConsciousCareConscious
In some states, small estates can avoid probate (check your jurisdiction for the definition of a sma...