What happens if I die without a will?

If you die without a will, the distribution of your estate will ultimately be decided by a judge who will be making assumptions about your loved one’s wishes. The clear intention expressed in a will can help stabilize family relations during the often traumatic period that follows the passing of a family member.

Generally, states utilize a default will, which makes assumptions about most people would want to have happen to their estate. Closest relatives (spouse and children) would take first, and if there is no spouse or children, then to parents, next to siblings and so on. If no close living relatives can be found, the property will eventually be handed over to the state.

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

What are keys to good end-of-life care?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
America's reluctance to accept death means we usually respond to dying with overwhelming fear. In co...
What should I consider when hiring an estate planning attorney?
CareConsciousCareConscious
If you are looking for an estate planning attorney, begin by finding someone with whom you and your ...
How can I deal with conflict during end-of-life situations?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
With end-of-life situations come decisions, and with decisions often come conflict. This can be conf...
Is probate necessary?
CareConsciousCareConscious
In some states, small estates can avoid probate (check your jurisdiction for the definition of a sma...