What does a personal representative do?

A will’s validity is assessed by the probate court, and a personal representative is appointed by the probate judge. The personal representative has the following duties:
  • identify, locate and gather the assets of the deceased
  • appraise/value the assets of the estate
  • receive all payments due and owing to the estate
  • set up necessary bank accounts
  • investigate all claims against the estate
  • pay funeral bills and other valid debts and claims (including income and estate taxes)
  • pay all lawful expenses required to administer the estate
  • distribute property per the instructions provided in the deceased’s will and/or state law
  • close the estate and finalize probate

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

Why are some people uncomfortable making an advance care plan?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Advance care planning can be a difficult subject to discuss—it’s a deeply personal subject and is ba...
How does Europe address end-of-life issues?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
The European Charter of Patients’ Rights states: “Each individual has the right to avoid as much suf...
What is life review, and how can it provide comfort near end of life?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
Life review is a self-reflective process in which people approaching death survey and review their l...
What should I do with my advance care plan once I've completed it?
You should keep originals of your advance care plan documents in an easily accessible place (not in ...