What should I consider when hiring an estate planning attorney?

If you are looking for an estate planning attorney, begin by finding someone with whom you and your loved one will be very comfortable sharing personal information, since many seniors are very reluctant to discuss their money matters with others, especially outsiders.

Next, look for experience that is relevant to your specific situation. Just because an attorney has been practicing for 20 years does not mean that he or she possesses the necessary experience you and your loved one need. Get down to specifics. And don't be afraid to ask for references from past clients.

It's also important that you get satisfactory answers about:
  • fees (up front and going forward)
  • whether that attorney will be handling your issue personally, or if it will be passed off to a less experienced attorney or paralegal (not uncommon)
  • how long the process is expected to take
  • how often you can expect to hear from the attorney (including who initiates contact and when he or she will update you)
Interview several attorneys before making a decision. If you or your loved one does not feel comfortable, if you feel rushed or if your questions are not adequately answered, move on. 

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

How can I deal with conflict during end-of-life situations?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
With end-of-life situations come decisions, and with decisions often come conflict. This can be conf...
Why are some people uncomfortable making an advance care plan?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Advance care planning can be a difficult subject to discuss—it’s a deeply personal subject and is ba...
How does Europe address end-of-life issues?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
The European Charter of Patients’ Rights states: “Each individual has the right to avoid as much suf...
What should I do with my advance care plan once I've completed it?
You should keep originals of your advance care plan documents in an easily accessible place (not in ...