What should I do with my advance care plan once I've completed it?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

You should keep originals of your advance care plan documents in an easily accessible place (not in your safety deposit box or under lock and key). Do not resuscitate (DNR) orders should be openly seen—place them on your refrigerator or bedroom door. You can give a copy of these documents to your healthcare provider, family/loved ones and people named in your durable power of attorney for healthcare. It is important to keep in mind that if changes are made in your plan, any copies you have would also need to be updated.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

I know what choices I’ll make at the end of life, should I tell my doctor?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
At Compassion & Choices we often tell people to interview their doctor. If you wonder about end-of-l...
More Answers
Why should I talk to my doctor about my end-of-life wishes?
David R. Grube, MDDavid R. Grube, MD
It's important to talk to your doctor about your end-of-life wishes and complete an advance directiv...
More Answers
How does Europe address end-of-life issues?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
The European Charter of Patients’ Rights states: “Each individual has the right to avoid as much suf...
More Answers
Do I have to leave my estate to my spouse in my will?
Generally when drawing up your will, you can do whatever you wish with your estate, providing it is ...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.