What should I do with my advance care plan once I've completed it?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

You should keep originals of your advance care plan documents in an easily accessible place (not in your safety deposit box or under lock and key). Do not resuscitate (DNR) orders should be openly seen—place them on your refrigerator or bedroom door. You can give a copy of these documents to your healthcare provider, family/loved ones and people named in your durable power of attorney for healthcare. It is important to keep in mind that if changes are made in your plan, any copies you have would also need to be updated.

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

How can I deal with conflict during end-of-life situations?
HealthCare Chaplaincy NetworkHealthCare Chaplaincy Network
With end-of-life situations come decisions, and with decisions often come conflict. This can be conf...
What happens if I die without a will?
CareConsciousCareConscious
If you die without a will, the distribution of your estate will ultimately be decided by a judge who...
Why should I talk to my doctor about my end-of-life wishes?
David R. Grube, MDDavid R. Grube, MD
It's important to talk to your doctor about your end-of-life wishes and complete an advance directiv...
What is life review, and how can it provide comfort near end of life?
Life review is a self-reflective process in which people approaching death survey and review their l...