I know what choices I’ll make at the end of life, should I tell my doctor?

Barbara Coombs Lee
Hospice Nursing
At Compassion & Choices we often tell people to interview their doctor. If you wonder about end-of-life options, it’s time to discover if your doctor’s values and beliefs match your own. You might like some clues now to what your doctor’s approach might be later. What kind of question would get your doctor to open up?
I recommend starting with a positive, upbeat declaration that, by gum, you feel healthy, you love life and you intend to savor its fullness as long as humanly possible. But you also believe in preparedness, and you’d like to make sure the two of you would be on the same wavelength in an end-of-life situation. Try one of these questions: 
  • Doc, if I had an illness that looked pretty grim, would you consider my quality of life more important than ensuring I live as long as possible?
  • How would you feel if I wanted to take a pass on the heroics and let nature take its course?
  • I wouldn’t want my family fighting over keeping me alive if I were in the condition of Terri Schiavo, with no chance of recovery. How would you handle a situation like that?

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

Why doesn't my doctor discuss end-of-life issues with me?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
There are many reasons why doctors aren't having these discussions as often as they should. The conv...
What happens if I die without a will?
CareConsciousCareConscious
If you die without a will, the distribution of your estate will ultimately be decided by a judge who...
How does an executor of a will differ from an administrator?
CareConsciousCareConscious
An executor of a will is the person named in the will to administer the estate. An administrator ser...
How can I determine how my doctor feels about end-of-life issues?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
I recommend starting with a positive, upbeat declaration that, by gum, you feel healthy, you love li...