Is probate necessary?

In some states, small estates can avoid probate (check your jurisdiction for the definition of a small estate). Otherwise, probate is necessary to determine that a will meets all the applicable legal requirements and to provide all interested parties with an opportunity to be heard. Probate also ensures that the decedent’s property ends up in the right hands and that all just debts (and taxes, of course) are paid.

Most states allow a certain amount of property to bypass probate or get processed through a simplified procedure. This includes a designated monetary amount as well as property left to a surviving spouse.

In addition, property that passes outside of your will is not subject to probate. These include joint survivorship accounts, trusts, life insurance proceeds payable to a designated beneficiary and similar instruments.

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

Do I have to leave my estate to my spouse in my will?
CareConsciousCareConscious
Generally when drawing up your will, you can do whatever you wish with your estate, providing it is ...
What should I know about do-not-resuscitate (DNR) orders?
Evelyn QuastEvelyn Quast
DNR and DNI (Do Not Intubate) typically go hand-in-hand. DNR means that if a person's heart stops be...
What should I consider when hiring an estate planning attorney?
CareConsciousCareConscious
If you are looking for an estate planning attorney, begin by finding someone with whom you and your ...
What are keys to good end-of-life care?
Katie OrtlipKatie Ortlip
I think the most important key to good end-of-life care is good communication with your family and h...