How can I talk to my doctor about end-of-life issues?

Barbara Coombs Lee
Hospice Nursing Specialist

Unfortunately, your doctor is unlikely to broach the subject, so it’s up to you. You might wonder how to begin this conversation without seeming morbid.

I humbly offer several openers for your consideration:

• “I just read about a study that found all that high technology at the end of life doesn’t work and just causes suffering. Do you know I wouldn’t want that?”
  • “My relative (or friend or acquaintance) had a terrible death, hooked up to tubes and machines. I think I’d just want to be home with my family. What do you think about a decision like that?”
  • “I love so much about my life—being active, loving my family. If none of that were possible anymore, I’d like to go out peacefully, without a lot of heroics. Does that fit with your medical philosophy?”

If the conversation reveals a physician seriously out of sync with your values and beliefs, find another whom you feel you can trust to honor your wishes.

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

Why are some people uncomfortable making an advance care plan?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Advance care planning can be a difficult subject to discuss—it’s a deeply personal subject and is ba...
What is the Montana aid in dying ruling?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
On New Year’s Eve 2009, Montana’s Supreme Court handed down the ruling in Baxter v. Montana and auth...
What are keys to good end-of-life care?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
America's reluctance to accept death means we usually respond to dying with overwhelming fear. In co...
What cost or paperwork is involved in making an advance directive?
Living wills, the durable power of attorney for healthcare, do not resuscitate (DNR) orders and phys...