How can I talk to my doctor about end-of-life issues?

Alvin S. Haynes Jr., MD
The simplest way to make sure your wishes are fulfilled is to have a living will. Learn more about your options in this video with Alvin Haynes, MD, of Regional Medical Center of San Jose in this video.
Barbara Coombs Lee
Hospice Nursing
Unfortunately, your doctor is unlikely to broach the subject, so it’s up to you. You might wonder how to begin this conversation without seeming morbid.

I humbly offer several openers for your consideration:
  • “I just read about a study that found all that high technology at the end of life doesn’t work and just causes suffering. Do you know I wouldn’t want that?”
  • “My relative (or friend or acquaintance) had a terrible death, hooked up to tubes and machines. I think I’d just want to be home with my family. What do you think about a decision like that?”
  • “I love so much about my life -- being active, loving my family. If none of that were possible anymore, I’d like to go out peacefully, without a lot of heroics. Does that fit with your medical philosophy?”
If the conversation reveals a physician seriously out of sync with your values and beliefs, find another whom you feel you can trust to honor your wishes.

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues