How does Europe address end-of-life issues?

Barbara Coombs Lee
Hospice Nursing
The European Charter of Patients’ Rights states: “Each individual has the right to avoid as much suffering and pain as possible, in each phase of his or her illness. The health services must commit themselves to taking all measures useful to this end, like providing palliative care treatment and simplifying patients’ access to them.” Policies restricting opioid availability and causing patients to suffer unnecessary pain abridge the human right to be free of torture.

The European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment has stated, “Every competent patient … should be given the opportunity to refuse treatment or any other medical intervention. Any derogation from this fundamental principle should be based upon law and only relate to clearly and strictly defined exceptional circumstances.”

Continue Learning about End Of Life Issues

How can I talk to my doctor about end-of-life issues?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
Unfortunately, your doctor is unlikely to broach the subject, so it’s up to you. You might wonder ho...
Is probate necessary?
CareConsciousCareConscious
In some states, small estates can avoid probate (check your jurisdiction for the definition of a sma...
What should I know about do-not-resuscitate (DNR) orders?
Barbara Coombs LeeBarbara Coombs Lee
DNR is a bad name for a useful mechanism. This physician instruction to the staff of a hospital or o...
Who should be involved in setting up an advance care plan?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Advance care planning is personal and is based on your values and beliefs. You can, and should, invo...